Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Names, anybody?

Some words are so cool they should be names. I finished The Shadowers (Shadows and Champions' new name) and now am trying to brainstorm some names for my next book. Maybe 3,000 years from now, these amazing English words will be found in a baby book saying: "Origin: Old English" or something like that.

Zenith
Maroon
Chief
Twixt
Rhythm
Myth
Hickory
Duke
Nugget

Also, in my search for names, I found out the origin of the term "Mad as a Hatter." Hatters used to use mercury to make hats, and the fumes from the mercury gave them...well...mercury poisoning. Isaac Newton got into alchemy and, in his experiments, also gave himself mercury poisoning--they found traces of it in his hair. Mercury poisoning makes you a bit "mad", overly-shy and gives you a desire to be socially isolated.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting-- did not know that about Isaac Newton, or hatters. The name makes sense, though.
    I recognize the name 'Myth' ;) I like it. It would be interesting to see if those names pop up later on, though I don't think people are too far from them now. I've heard some pretty zany ones...
    Love the new background, too. Makes me want to go hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, doesn't it? Love Alice and Wonderland.
      Zany. That should be a name.
      A hike sounds good right now.

      Delete