Thursday, February 28, 2013

Home

I got an email from an old friend today--way back from Oregon. She reminded me of all the fun times we used to have, our walks through the woods, snow-fights, old friends we had and our favorite past-times.
It's silly but after reading it I felt really sad and really joyful at the same time. I felt joyful because I love hearing from her and remembering all of those good times, but sad because I know that I will not be able to return to Oregon for several years to come.
Oregon has always been the place I've called "home." But when I return to America, I won't be going home. I'll just be going somewhere else. Perhaps some day the South will become my home, but the old Oregon has changed by now and is not longer my home. In a way, I'm homeless.
Being in that constant state of transition has made it difficult for me to place value in people and moments, has caused me in a spirit of discontent I have no right to have.
God has given me the friends I have, the family I would die for, the experience that not many other people have had. I'm glad for the times I've had and the times I'm going to have--each moment of my life should be something precious that I cherish.
As for home, my friend Beth understands that. Home is not where you live or where you have lived or where you're going to live--home is where the heart is, and my heart should be with Christ. And I've better get used to being in transition because I don't think I'll be going "home" for a while.


5 comments:

  1. Home will be where Nanna and Granddaddy are!!! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanna! I'm glad you're always there for me!

      Delete
    2. And me...you will always have a home in my house as well!

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling, Lys. That's the comforting prospect for the Christian - we'll always have a Home to look forward to where our hearts will experience true rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand these feelings, Bliss. I wouldn't say I have an earthly home, but I am grateful to know that I have a heavenly home to look forward to go to and be with our great God!

    ReplyDelete