Sunday, April 7, 2013

The English

You ever wonder why we say "In Jesus' Name, Amen" to our own prayers? Amen means I agree, so--"Lord, help us this day. In Jesus' Name I agree." Of course you agree with yourself!

Or why is lisp spelled with an "s"? So that people with lisps can't pronounce their own speech impediment? "I have a lithp." I'm sure you do, deaire.

Or have you noticed how many of English names are terrible English words? Bob. Rob. Will. Chuck. Harry. Jimmy. Ginny. Tom (as in cat). Phil. Pete. Mary.

I wonder--this is purely speculation--but the term "For Pete's sake," does it come from the legend that Peter holds the gates of heavens--so "For Pete's sake" do the right thing? I don't know.

Does "please" as in "please let me in" come from please as in "please me" or pleas?

English is so odd.



No comments:

Post a Comment